What is Habitat for Humanity?
Habitat for Humanity of Sonoma County is an international faith-based organization dedicated to improving lives by building modest, affordable homes in partnership with our communities and families in need. Habitat for Humanity collaborates with volunteers and partner families to build affordable housing with affordable mortgages.
- Build a house in partnership with you
- Sell you the house with an affordable home loan
- Provide opportunities for you to learn the skills you will need to own and maintain a house
- Are affordable
- Fit the neighborhood
- Create a decent place for a family to live
Habitat Selection Criteria
- Income: Please refer to the Income Guidelines chart below
- Substandard living conditions: homes in poor condition
- Overcrowding: more than 2 people per bedroom
- Rent burden: paying more than 40% of monthly income for rent
Income Guidelines (2019 HUD Income Guidelines)
$37,800 to $60,480
$58,350 to $93,360
$43,200 to $69,120
$62,650 to 100,240
$48,600 to $77,600
$67,000 to $107,200
$54,000 to $86,400
$71,300 to $114,080
2) Ability to Pay
- Monthly income sufficient to make mortgage payments
- Minimum credit score of 640
- No current liens or judgments
- Debt must not be excessive
- No bankruptcy within the last 4 years
- Consistent payment history
- Applicant(s) must be legal US resident(s) or have permanent residency status
3) Willingness to Partner
- Agreement to complete sweat–equity requirement of 500 hours. *
- Agreement to attend homeowner preparation workshops
- Willingness to take part in public events on behalf of Habitat
* Sweat-equity hours might include working on building your and others’ house(s), attending meetings and helping with public events, such as groundbreakings, and fundraising events.
There are some restrictions on the resale of Habitat for Humanity built homes. Equity accumulation (the increase in value of your home) is not to be a primary goal of homeownership under our program. A Habitat house is a home to live in long-term and not a house to sell for profit. In addition, Homeowners are not allowed to choose the location nor the plan of their home.
Do you meet any of the following criteria?
- Are you or a household member a Wildfire Survivor?
- Are you or a household member an Agricultural Worker?
- Are you or a household member a veteran?
- Are you or a household member a senior (age 62 or older)?
We encourage anyone who meets these special criteria to apply.
If you feel you meet the above requirements and are interested in pursuing this opportunity, complete our online Program Interest Form!
Please contact our office at (707) 578-7707 x100 for the next Homeowner Interest Meeting date or for additional information about qualifications.