What is Habitat for Humanity?
Habitat for Humanity of Sonoma County is an international faith-based organization dedicated to improving lives by building modest, affordable homes in partnership with our communities and families in need. Habitat for Humanity collaborates with volunteers and partner families to build affordable housing with affordable mortgages.
What Habitat Can Do for You
- Build a house in partnership with you.
- Sell you the house with an affordable home loan.
- Provide opportunities for you to learn the skills you will need to own and maintain a house.
- Are affordable.
- Fit the neighborhood.
- Create a decent place for a family to live.
Habitat Selection Criteria
- Income: 50% to 80% of the area median income
- Substandard living conditions: including overcrowding, homes in poor condition
- Paying more than 40% of monthly income for rent
- Will be first time home owners.
|Family Size||Yearly Income||Family Size||Yearly Income|
|1 Person||$30,850 to $49,350||5 Persons||$47,600 to $76,150|
|2 Persons||$35,250 to $56,400||6 Persons||$51,100 to $81,800|
|3 Persons||$39,650 to $63,450||7 Persons||$54,650 to $87,450|
|4 Persons||$44,050 to $70,500||8 Persons||$58,150 to $93,100|
2) Ability to Pay
- Monthly income sufficient to make mortgage payments
- 2 years of income in current field of work
- Minimum credit score of 640
- No current liens or judgments
- Debt must not be excessive
- No bankruptcy within the last 4 years
- Consistent payment history
- Applicant(s) must be legal US resident(s) or have permanent residency status
3) Willingness to Partner
- Agreement to complete sweat–equity requirement of 500 hours. *
- Agreement to attend homeowner preparation workshops
- Willingness to take part in public events on behalf of Habitat
* Sweat-equity hours might include working on building your and others’ house(s), attending meetings and helping with public events, such as groundbreakings, and fundraising events.
There are some restrictions on the resale of Habitat for Humanity built homes. Equity accumulation (the increase in value of your home) is not to be a primary goal of homeownership under our program. A Habitat house is a home to live in long-term and not a house to sell for profit. In addition, Homeowners are not allowed to choose the location nor the plan of their home.
Are You Ready to Apply?
If you feel you meet the above requirements and are interested in pursuing this opportunity, your next steps are to:
- Review all requirements above to see if you might qualify.
- Complete our online Housing Interest Form or…
- Fill out your interest form at out next Homeowner Interest Meeting.
Please contact our office at (707) 578-7707 Ext 103 for the next Homeowner Interest Meeting date or for additional information about qualifications.